Court Interpreters

Effective 01/01/2015, the Superior Court provides interpreters for the following purposes:

  • Criminal, traffic, juvenile, and all civil case types (except for small claims):

Parties and Counsel are required to provide notice to the Court of any need for interpreting in order to assure that these services may be arranged by the Court on a timely basis. To notice the Court you may:

  • Complete Request for Court Interpreter Form: Local Form M-47
  • Inform a Court Clerk at the counter
  •     or
  • Inform a Courtroom Clerk

The Form may be submitted online; submitted at the clerk’s office or by mail to Court Administration, Suzanne Thurman, Interpreter Coordinator; 2850 Fairlane Suite 110, Placerville, CA 95667.

Small claims hearings:

You may ask a friend, relative, or someone else to interpret for you when you go to court. Please do not ask a child (minor, under the age of 18) to interpret for you.

A Court interpreter needs to be familiar with legal terms and concepts in both English and your first language. If you decide to use a friend or relative, have the person read the instructions and duties for interpreting called Foreign Language Interpreter’s Duties-Civil and Small Claims.

To find an interpreter that speaks your language visit http://www.courts.ca.gov/3796.htm

American with Disabilites Act (ADA):

If you require services of a sign language interpreter, you may request one at any courthouse, for any type of hearing you may have. This includes civil hearings, small claims hearings, and jury duty.


If you have a complaint about access to language services, you may submit a complaint using these fillable forms. The Court provides versions of the form in English and Spanish . The Language Access Coordinator will review and respond to all interpreter and language access complaints. The Court takes all complaints about language access very seriously and will address the concerns in an appropriate manner.

Please be aware that the Language Access Coordinator does not have the authority to change or modify any decision made by a judicial officer and that its review of the complaint does not, in any way, affect or extend any applicable deadlines or procedural requirements such as filing motions, appeals, modifications, etc.


Superior Court of El Dorado County to provide to persons with limited English proficiency (LEP) services that are in compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d et seq.; 45 C.F.R. § 80.1 et seq.; and 28 C.F.R. § 42.101–42.112). Click here to view the LEP.

© 2015 Superior Court of El Dorado County