TRAFFIC division

The Traffic Division handles adult and minor traffic violations, minor offenses, Fish & Game violations, local city and county ordinances, boating, and dog/animal citations. Parking citations are not handled by the Court – contact the citing agency. Driving Under the Influence (DUI) violations are handled through the Criminal Division.

Traffic cases are handled by Departments 1, 2, 7, and 12.

Online Traffic Citation Index

As of May 1, 2013, the court is no longer mailing courtesy notices.

Law enforcement agencies may take up to 30 days to send traffic citations to the court. Citations must be entered into the court’s traffic system before you can view or pay your citation online. Please allow a minimum of 30 days from the date your ticket was issued (violation date) to contact the court for processing.

You can review the court index to find your case information, bail (fine) or appearance information.

     View Online Traffic Citation Index

You can review the court index to find your case information, bail (fine) or appearance information. To search for your case on the court index, in the "Find" field of your internet browser type in your name, case number or citation number. You may need to hit "Control F" to bring up find box. To search by Name enter last name, first name; by Case number enter the case number provided by the Court; by Citation Number enter the citation number on the citation you received.

Control F to search PDF

If your citation was issued within the last 45 days, and you do not find it on this system, you are still responsible for appearing at the court on or before the date listed at the bottom of your citation. Failure to do so can result in additional penalties and suspension of your driving privilege.

Important Information About Your Citation

How To Resolve Your Citation

On or before the Due Date, you may send the full amount by mail, pay online or deliver your payment to the court. See payment options/online payments section. To ask the court to consider your financial ability to pay your bail, you must appear before the Court. Failure to resolve your citation on or before the due date by one of the options listed below may result in an additional fee, a hold placed on your driver’s license, and referral to collections.

Payment options/online payments

Credit card payments can be made in person at all court locations.

Payment by check or money order:
Mail or deliver your check or money order to:

2850 Fairlane Court Ste. 120,
Placerville, CA 95667


1354 Johnson Blvd.,
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

Please include your case number on your check or money order. Make checks payable to Superior Court of El Dorado County.

Payment Online:
You have two options to pay either by using your credit card or electronic fund transfer directly from your checking or savings account. There are fees associated with each transaction on matter what option you choose.

In order to pay online you must know either your citation number or case number. If you do not have either, search the Online Traffic Citation Index

To pay using your  Visa©, Mastercard©, Discover©, checking or savings account click here.

Payment Plans
  • Must be requested in writing and submitted to: 2850 Fairlane Court Ste. 120, Placerville, CA 95667 or 1354 Johnson Blvd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
  • To agree to pay and forfeit bail in installments, complete form TR-300. Click here for the Agreement to Pay and Forfeit Bail In Installments TR-300 form.
  • Additional $60.00 administrative fee is added to total bail/fine
  • Minimum of $50.00 per month payment required
  • First payment is 10% of full amount due (including the fine and admin fee.  Example: $235 (fine) + $60 (admin fee) = $295.  You must pay $29.50 to start a payment plan
  • Court  does NOT mail monthly statements
  • Receipts sent only if you provide a self-addressed stamped envelope

Mandatory Appearance

If the citation you received requires a mandatory appearance you will receive a notice to appear from the court with the hearing date, time and location.


For Infractions there is only one 30-day continuance if the following applies:

  • Your name and case appear on the Online Traffic Citation Index
  • All charges on the case are active (this means you have not appeared and pled)
  • No active hearings are scheduled for the case
  • Your current date to appear has not passed.

To request a one-time only continuance of 30 days, contact the court.

Appear and Plead Not Guilty

A deposit of bail is not required to appear in court. At an arraignment you will enter a plea (guilty, not contest, not guilty); and/or request traffic school; and/or ask the court to consider your ability to pay due to financial hardship and decide whether to approve a reduced fine, payment plan or community service. If you plead not guilty, you will be given a date for trial. The Officer will NOT be present until the date of the trial.

Trial by Written Declaration By Mail

  • Trial by Declarations can only be requested if charged with an Infraction under the Vehicle Code (VC). This is authorized under Vehicle Code section 40902(a) and California Rule of Court 4.210.
  • Must post bail pursuant to Vehicle Code section 40902(b) (amount listed on Traffic Citation Index);
  • Provide a letter pleading not guilty and requesting trial by declaration;
  • Court mails defendant and arresting officer a declaration form for both parties to respond (with a due date usually 30 days from mailing);
  • A decision will be issued and mailed; 
  • If found guilty, bail is forfeited;
  • If found not guilty, bail/fine will be returned to defendant within 4-6 weeks.
  • Click here for the Trial by Declaration (Local Form T-21) request form.

Court Trial Request

  • You have the option to appear at the court trial without the deposit of bail.  The court may require the deposit of bail pursuant to California Rule of Court, Rule 4.105(c).
  • May request a court trial in person by coming to court on or before the date of the  hearing on the Traffic Citation, or
  • May request a court trial by written request by completing the Court Trial request form (Local Form T-19) and mailing it to the court to arrive prior to the date of the hearing on the Traffic Citation.
  • Click here for the Court Trial request form (Local Form T-19).
  • Upon receipt, the Court will mail defendant and arresting officer notice of trial date (usually 6 weeks out).
  • Parties appear for trial.
  • If found guilty, the Court will order fines at the time of the court trial.

Traffic School

You may choose to attend Traffic School for certain vehicle violations. 

You must request traffic school when making your timely payment or at the time of your hearing, if you wish to appear. Failure to do so will make you ineligible for Traffic School. Traffic School is an additional fee of $69. Should you choose to make your fine payment via Electronic Fund Transfer, add an additional $69 to the fine payment amount for Traffic School.

To be eligible for Traffic School you must meet the following criteria:

  • You have not attended traffic school for a citation issued with the last 18 months from the violation date;
  • Your citation is for a moving vehicle code violation and does not exceed 25 mph over the speed limit and does not have a misdemeanor charge that requires a mandatory appearance in court;
  • You were not cited in a commercial vehicle;
  • If your case involves a failure to appear, the failure to appear charge must be addressed or paid in full before you can attend traffic school;
  • Your citation does not involve alcohol or drugs;
  • Your citation is not for Vehicle Code sections 22406.5 or 21655.5;
  • Your citation does not have a point count of more than one point under Vehicle Code section 12810 or more than one and one-half points under Vehicle Code section 12810 or .5(b)(2).

If you choose to attend traffic school:

    Online: By paying online and electing traffic school. Your deadline for completing Traffic School will be 90 days from your date of payment.

    In Person: By visiting the Court Clerk's Office loacted at:

    • 2850 Fairlane Court, Suite 120,
      Placerville, CA 95667

    • 1354 Johnson Blvd.
      South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

    By Mail: By sending written request to sign up for Traffic School, along with the appropriate fees.

  1. Obtain the bail/fine amount from the Online Traffic Citation Index

  2. Send a written request to attend traffic school to:

    • 2850 Fairlane Court, Suite 120,
      Placerville, CA 95667

    • or to

    • 1354 Johnson Blvd.
      South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
  3. Send a self-addressed, stamped legal-size envelope with current postage rates affixed. The Court will mail you a traffic school packet with the approved traffic schools by return mail. Only approved Traffic Schools will be accepted. The cost of attending each school is determined by the school itself.
  4. Mail a check or money order for the bail/fine amount plus the traffic school administrative fee of $69 made payable to "Superior Court”.
NOTE: - Traffic School fee is not refundable. An additional fee may be charged by the individual traffic school.

Once your request has been authorized you will be provided a list of approved traffic schools and a completion due date. You may only attend traffic schools approved by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.


You may also obtain a list of schools in your area at the CTSI website at http://ctsi-courtnetwork.org

After your proof of completion is submitted to the court by the traffic school, you can check the status of your completion certificate at www.courtcertservice.com


Proof of Correction

You must provide proof of correction for any correctable violation(s) to have your bail/fine reduced and to clear the case.  Bail/Fine can be reduced to $25.00 per violation being corrected.  Should you choose not to provide proof of correction of violations other than 4000(a) VC registration violations, you may pay the full “bail without correction” to clear the case. 

Proof of correction may be obtained in the following ways:
  1. Smog control device violations must be inspected & certified by an authorized Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Device Installation & Inspection station
  2. Light and brake violations must be certified by an authorized Inspection & Installation station
  3. For other defects, proof of correction may be obtained at any law enforcement office during normal working hours.

Insurance Violations

If you were cited for Insurance Violations – VC 16028(a) or 16028(c), and have no previous insurance violations on your driving record, one of the following may apply to you:
  1. Providing proof of liability insurance on your vehicle or yourself showing you were insured at the time of the citation, reduces your bail for this violation to $25.00 per violation being corrected;
  2. Providing proof of liability insurance on your vehicle or yourself purchased not more than 30 days after the date of the citation, bail is $469.00.


Why Did My Case Go to the Collections?
Cases are assigned to Collections if you appeared in court and were ordered to make a payment forthwith or monthly payments and failed to pay or if you failed to appear or pay on a ticket by the date listed on the original signed ticket.

Who Do I Contact When My Case is Assigned to Collections?
All delinquent court accounts have been referred to Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP (LINEBARGER, LLP) for collections. Delinquent court accounts that were being collected by El Dorado County Revenue Recovery Division, including accounts collected by Franchise Tax Board, have transitioned to Linebarger as of June 30, 2017. Contact Linebarger at:



Linebarger Goggan Blair &
Sampson, LLP
P.O.BOX 702118
San Antonio, TX 78270

How Can I Pay?
All payments on delinquent court accounts referred to LINEBARGER, LLP for collections must be made directly to Linebarger. See above contact information.

M-40 Request to Vacate Civil Assessment - Instruction and Request form

Locations for Filing

Placerville Building C Branch
2850 Fairlane Court Ste. 120
Placerville, CA 95667

South Lake Tahoe Branch
1354 Johnson Blvd.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

© 2015 Superior Court of El Dorado County