Juvenile division

The Juvenile Court is responsible for handling matters regarding minors. The judges in Juvenile Court hear delinquency cases involving minors charged with violations of the law and dependency cases involving minors who have been neglected or abused.

Standing order RE MACS meeting statements protected

Standing order RE MACS meeting sharing of information (WIC) Code §§ 827, 830, 18951, 19851.5, 18951.7

Standing Order re Destruction of Juvenile Records and Case Files Welf.&Inst. Code §§ 826,781,786,389

Standing Order re Disclosure of Juvenile Case files pursuant to §827, CRC 5.552

Juvenile court case are handled by departments 4, 8, and 12.

Frequently Asked Questions

My child was arrested. What will happen?

One of the following could occur:

  • The arresting officer may release your child back to your custody.
  • Your child may be referred to a community agency providing shelter, care, diversion or counseling.
  • Your child could be detained in Juvenile Hall.  If your child is detained, the Probation Officer must take immediate steps to notify you.
  • Your child may be released to your custody with conditions and given a date to appear in court.  If your child is not returned home, the law requires that a petition be filed, usually within 48 hours from the time the child is taken into custody.  There will be a court hearing called a Detention/Arraignment hearing.  You will be notified of this hearing date and time.

Does my child need an attorney?

Your child has the right to an attorney.  If you cannot afford to hire an attorney for your child, the court will appoint an attorney to represent him or her.

Will I be required to pay my child’s fees?

Yes, unless you were the victim of your child’s crime, you will receive a bill from the county for various fees, including your child’s attorney’s fees; probation department service fees and placement costs for keeping your child in state placement such as the California Department of Juvenile Justice, a probation camp, or an out of home placement.  You will have a chance to show how much, if any, of these costs you are able to pay.  The Juvenile Court does not make this determination.

My child received a citation what do I need to do?

It depends on the violation your child was cited for.  Infractions (most moving violations) are handled through the Traffic Division.  In that instance, the date at the bottom of the citation is a due date rather than a court date. 

How do I seal my Juvenile Record?

You may submit a Petition to Seal to the El Dorado Juvenile Probation Department.  A court date will be scheduled and notice sent to all parties.  You may attend the hearing but it is not required unless you are noticed and ordered to appear.  You will be notified of the Court’s decision by mail.  Click here for the Application

Juvenile Dependency/Delinquency Designated Hearing Dates and Times

West Slope: 295 Fairlane, Placerville, CA 95667

  • Dependency: Fridays at 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., Dept. 8
  • Delinquency: Mondays at 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., Dept. 8

  • Contacts:

    Juvenile lead: Ashley Mitchell;amitchell@eldoradocourt.org; 530-621-5953
    Dependency: Tara Young; tsyoung@eldoradocourt.org; 530-621-7466
    Delinquency: Elena Zepeda; ezepeda@eldoradocourt.org; 530-621-5037

    South Lake Tahoe: 1354 Johnson Blvd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

  • Dependency: Wednesdays at 8:30 a.m., Dept. 12
  • Delinquency: Thursdays at 8:30 a.m., Dept. 4

  • Contact:

    Juvenile lead: Zuzana Russell; zrussell@eldoradocourt.org; 530-573-3344

    Locations for Filing

    Fair Lane Branch
    295 Fair Lane
    Placerville, CA 95667
    Phone: (530) 621-7470

    South Lake Tahoe Branch
    1354 Johnson Blvd.
    South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
    Phone: (530) 573-3075

    Office Hours 8:00a.m to 4:00p.m. Monday through Friday (excluding holidays and Court Closures). Phone hours 8:00a.m. to 4:00p.m.

    © 2015 Superior Court of El Dorado County